Where the river Isel and Drau meet, lies the sunny city of Lienz – the economic, cultural and social centre of East Tirol. With over 2,000 hours of sun per year this city in the dolomites is the sunniest place in Austria. A Mediterranean flair is apparent throughout the city, even the odd palm tree can be found in the old town. The Lienzer bowl developed from ice pushing out of the Isel and Drau valleys during the last ice age.
The capital city of East Tirol is also known as the pearl of the dolomites and is a real natural treasure. The small city is surrounded by the East Tirolean mountains: emerald green forests and turquoise water melt into a natural landscape of their own kind. Lienz is situated on the border of the central alps to the southern Calcareous alps. Hochstein and Schlossberg and foothills of the Villgratner range. The Lienzer dolomites stretch to the south of the Drau.
Formerly a residence of Counts, Bruck Castle now has guests strolling through the display rooms: The museum of Lienz houses a comprehensive collection of work from the East Tirolean artist Albin Egger-Lienz. Yearly themed exhibitions display the history of the region along with a variety of cultural events. A family friendly themed walk through the castle grounds gives an informative insight into the history.
The old town and Lieb castle
Another landmark of the East Tirolean capital city can be found in the main square: Lieb castle was originally a residential castle for the noble. During the 20th century the building was used as a town hall and council offices. The castle with its onion domes paints a picturesque backdrop for the town: A collection of boutiques, craft shops, cafés and bars can be found in the old town of Lienz to while away the hours.
On Friday afternoon and Saturday morning rows of market stalls can be found in the Messinggasse, an old handcraft street: Regional producers offer their East Tirolean specialities and delicacies.
Paradise for winter sports
Lienz is an absolute paradise for winter sports fans with 350 kilometres of perfectly prepared slopes, 400 kilometres of cross country skiing tracks, endless winter walking paths and ski routes, natural toboggan run and much more. The ski areas of Zettersfeld and Hochstein are both suitable for families and linked with a free shuttle bus. The women’s FIS ski world cup race takes place every two years in Lienz.
Adventure mountain Schlossberg
The cable car Schlossberg is situated within easy reach of the Hotel & Guesthouse Gribelehof. The cable car carries you up to the largest climbing park in Tirol at around 1.000 metres above sea level. The summer toboggan run “Osttirodler” is directly alongside: The 2.7 km long winding track is the longest year round toboggan run in Austria. At a speed of around 40 kilometres per hour it is a quick descent to the valley.
Natural paradise national park
The Hohe Tauern national park is with its 1.856m² the largest national park in middle Europe. This untouched area of nature is home to over 15.000 different species. This fascinating wildness stretches from the valleys to the mountain peaks and can be explored using endless walking routes. The park is open around the clock and is free of charge.
- FEEL GOOD IN A FAMILY RUN HOTEL. We personally care for the well-being of our guests. Your host family work with a love and passion to ensure your holiday in Hotel & Guesthouse Gribelehof is exceptionally well prepared.
- LIVING IN A HISTORICAL AMBIENCE. Our 18 bedrooms and family rooms are situated in a turn of the century villa. The flowing shapes of the art nouveau style are designed to bring nature into an industrialized world. Around 1900 this style was known as “Modern Style”, today it is just timelessly beautiful.
- VIEWPOINT OVER THE CITY. From our sunny terrace you can enjoy a panoramic view over the city of Lienz and the Lienzer dolomites. We are happy to serve you our sunshine breakfast outdoors in summer. Coffee and cake can be enjoyed while the children are busy playing in the park.
- HIKING IN THE COUNTRYSIDE. Our hotel is situated close the Schloßberg cable car on the local mountain Hochstein. This brings you directly into a natural paradise. Numerous hiking routes and mountain bike routes begin on the Schlossberg. Alternatively the city is only a twenty minute walk away.
- WINTER SPORTS IN EAST TIROL: Out of bed and on to the slopes? That’s a promise that we in the Hotel & Guesthouse Gribelehof can honestly keep! One ski run directly passes our house. The Schlossberg cable car is just a few turns away from our Hotel and farm.